an advanced play-by-post realistic wolf roleplay
NORTHOFNOWHERE

[P] Traitor
It was dark, which meant it was the perfect time for Qihul to perform the plan he had scrutinized days on end through his head. He sat and pondered on his plan for so long that his own state of mind was deprived of a well-needed rest. Until the scarred face lad could no longer rest stare on the snow capped mountains that belonged to the mountains, he stayed put in the forest, but as the gloomy clouds hung over, he knew it was time to get going.
It felt odd, to turn his paws away from the forest and begin to step away for the first time in his 2 years. He felt like his rebellious brother Gradis, who often fled home and would not return for weeks, even months. He wondered if the forest knew that Qihul was betraying it by choosing to migrate to the coast. But hell- it was not Qihul's fault that the cold was not something he could grow suitable too. At least the coast, closer down south, would provide additional warmth, even if by just a degree. The wolf's ears lay flat against his small skull, sulking as he hung his head low and allowed his tongue to nervously lap over his lips.
It was as if the branches of the trees loomed over his shoulders, imaginary eyes narrowed in disappointment at the native who was choosing comfort over loyalty. My, Qihul wished that the forest was an actual figure he could speak with. He'd make sure that his return was guaranteed, and that he could never choose a different region again. Yet, as he turned his head upward to peer at the trees once more, certainly not his last, the taunting bitter winds slapped his face back down, the partial ice and snow it carried pricking his eyes and the skin along his ears. Stubbornly, the male continued on, his tail beginning to tuck solemnly as the woods continued to thin, meaning he was nearing the end of the forest, and beginning anew to the coast.
"The faster we're falling, we're stopping and stalling"

table by jay & image by Yej

@Victorian

Alone. He was completely and truly alone. It was nothing new - this concept of being alone. But it'd always been because of his own accord. Victorian lacked company not because he did not have the option, but merely because he wandered from their wake. Now? Now he nothing to return to. Thus entered the concept of loneliness. His friends, his family; mere ghosts among the breeze. He hunted for his father the longest. Many times did the fog of the night cruelly twist itself into the image of the Coax man. Victorian never fell for them, but they created a pang within his chest regardless.

He'd given up now. Damned was he to outlast. Acceptance came swiftly, but left him nearly empty. Bitter, in some ways, but not deterred. Perhaps this was the world testing him. Perhaps it swallowed up all the familiar faces he'd grown to know, hiding them so that the Architect may be forced to grow without them. And grow he did. Victorian refused to allow his pride to get in the way of a meal. While famine breached the walls of Elsynia, he ate all he could find. He picked bones clean of carrion, he feasted upon fellow wolves found dead, he scavenged and stole. Lawless was he - and he didn't mind. Of course these actions did not bring about a powerful bulk, but Victorian had grown in height no doubt. He stood a capable man, however lean he was.

Now the rogue traveled through a land he'd come to know well. The Lost Woods were a place he frequented as of late, as close to a home he had. The sound of another living being was rare so, upon hearing such a thing, Victorian instantly felt a burn within his belly. Hunger. Hunger for food, yes, but interaction as well.

Perhaps this soul could provide both? He was no fool, and would not to expend energy on attacking a healthy wolf. But nothing stayed healthy for long.

"Congratulations," was all he murmured upon seeing the yearling stride through the mist. His head was low, eyes intent upon the stranger and muzzle split in the slightest of grins.

"this is the best i can do for you"
table x manip ▶▶ claerie. stock ▶▶ Roman Marvin & Ryoji Hayasaka & Dawnthieves

@Qihul
"Congratulations".
Seemed to whisper in the pinned ears of the boy who stomped through the high snow. Qihul knew it was his mind playing cruel tricks on him, trying to hold back tighter on the reins that held him close to the forest, that made him able to do what he was doing now. But wait-- why would the forest congratulate a native for leaving home? Something did not add up. Just as his forepaw shook in both cold and surprise before settling back down into the endless white blanket, the drift of wolf scent caught his nose when once again the wind slapped at his cheeks.
That congratulation came from another who was out stalking in the Lost Woods. Somewhat fearful with a mixture of over suspicion, the brown wolf turned around with his ears highly erected and tail raised high, ready to meet a familiar face of one he did not like. Yet, the first thing his green eyes settled on were those of orange, and no face in his records ever obtained such a striking color. The last time Qihul had been caught up by such a beautiful color, he came across the lass Sorcha.
Orange, though it could represent the fire that swept through and destroyed all that once was Purgatory Forest, in the midst of this ice age, it reminded him of something else. It was a reminder that there was another color other than white. White seemed to block his mind, and for such a hue to be seen, Qihul was glad he had turned around. This male had the majority of black within his pelt that also caused him to stand out from the snow mass.
This stranger had a intense stare, and the grin that was held on his lips did not make Qihul feel any more comfortable. Had the wolf possessed a friendly and calming aura, the boy would've dropped down and prayed as he did to Metsuna, believing him to be a God. Of course, a grin could mean friendliness, but out here in the cold, everything seemed so bitter and hostile.

"Congratulations for what?" The suspicion Qihul contained seemed to slither into his tone, his eyes squinting as he tightened his muscles, "Do you know what I'm doing?"

Maybe the forest sent a messenger to forbid Qihul from leaving. His body began to tremble, and not from the cold.

--
@Victorian

His wariness was nearly tangible, so thick Victorian could taste of it. Being a harbinger of fear brought Victorian no joy - but if that is what he was offered, why not play with it?

"Do you know what I am doing?"

It was that question that caught Victorian's attention in its entirety, so delicious and tantalizing in its nature. Because of course the Coax did not. As much as he believed himself to be more, he was merely a man and a man without the ability to see beyond what was in front of him. But he wanted to know. The way it was asked of him led him to believe whatever the stranger was doing was wrong in some way. Was not sin the most interesting of stories? A single ear flicked as he regarded the stranger in a silence uncomfortably long.

"Why, you've weathered the storm. Is that not enough to congratulate you for?" Victorian did not wait for an answer, and it was clear he did not desire one. He hadn't the faintest clue what the man before was up to, thus he intended to set upon a game. A dance of sorts. He'd poke and pry, twist words as he could, and hope he could pull from his lips the answer. The Architect drew closer, his previous hunger forgotten and now replaced with the intoxication of the unknown.

"How could I not know? The trees whisper to me, the birds sing of it... Such poor keepers of secrets they are," Lies. His words purred like felines held not an inkling of truth about them. He simply hoped the stranger would not know of this.

@Qihul
"why, you've weathered the storm. is that not enough to congratulate you for?"
Oh The boy thought to himself. Yes, it was a rough storm, so rough he was unsure of whether or not any of his friends survived. The pain pricked at his heart, and the longer his mind cozied in to settle on thinking of all the horrors that could have happened to his loved ones, it was like a blade had dove straight down his limp beating heart. Before Qihul could sit and bawl like a child, he chokes on a blubbering sob, not realizing that his eyes had began to water and swim like leaves on a pond.
"how could i not know? the trees whisper to me, the birds sing of it... such poor keepers of secrets they are,"
Qihul took this statement and ran with it, quite literally. The boy was bounding toward the stranger, his mouth dropped down with ecstatic joy and wonder. He stared more thoughtfully into the bright orange eyes that belonged to the wolf. The longer he stood here in front of one that could communicate with other specimens, the more his mind began to open. Who was Qihul kidding, thinking that this was some ordinary? This was a God, it had to be, a God of the Forest or some sort! It was!

“I am so sorry. I’ll admit, Almighty, I was.. I was…” His eyes searched for a better word other than ‘fleeing’, but the God perhaps already knew that, so what would be the point in lying?

“I was fleeing.” He wondered if this God would tell Metsuna, and Metsuna would fall from the clouds with that white pelt and gray stare of his, and run Qihul’s blood so cold that he would freeze in place.

And now, in desperation, the shivering boy shoves himself closer, as if he was whispering, though he was doing anything but. The other God scolded him numerous times for his screaming, but Qihul never seemed to get the memo.

“I’ll stay now. I know why you came now, you came to stop me.” He spoke, the whites of his eyes showing in submission, “To… oh my goodness…”

Qihul trailed off, his mind running so quickly that his tongue could not keep up, until he inhaled a deep breath and nearly screeched so loud that the snow could shake off the dead branches.

“You’re going to punish me!”

--
@Victorian

Victorian never expected any definite outcome, making him extraordinarily hard to surprise. And still the reaction of the stranger startled him. Almighty? Victorian never believed himself to be a mere commoner - just like there rest. He always thought himself better in some way, or at the least, different. And in this difference did he find love for himself beyond any sort of displacement he might feel from others. Victorian loved that he was different. He loved that Thea was different, Tauthe, Sjona, so many more he'd yet to meet but felt in his bones that they existed. He found himself having to explain to each and every one, however, this difference.

But this stranger? This stranger felt it too. He wailed his sorrow - his fear - he cried out for he feared Victorian's punishment. The Architect briefly considered if he had the authority to even deliver such a thing. He believed himself to be enlightened and his task to bring enlightenment to others. Would an Architect punish? And what for? Surely the stranger's deed had been sinful in his own mind, but what was sin to reason? And surely Qihul had a reason for whatever he'd done, or was doing. Victorian watched as he pressed closer, allowing the yearling to press against his broad chest if he so desired while he lost himself in thought.

For there to be punishment, there must be wrong doing. Already he'd decided, in his talk with Thea, that there was no mere right and wrong; simply action. Perhaps, like "right" and "wrong", punishment fell under a much more neutral umbrella. Since there was no sin, there could be no punishment. Only an action and reaction. Victorian considered this for a long while, nodding as he made his mind up. But still that left the idea of what Qihul expected of him.

"Do you want me to punish you?" Smooth and level was the boy's voice, his eyes of fire trailing along the snow rather than the stranger at his paws. He did not believe in punishment. But perhaps he'd play along anyway.

@Qihul
His mind was fogging quicker by the second, and his brain felt so cold with fear that Qihul was convinced snow had managed to seep into his skull. The wolf felt like he was going to die, having never accomplished anything major, having failed at life, having failed the Gods, most importantly. As his shoulders slumped, and his head lowered from being leveled with the orange eyed Almighty before him, his forelegs buckled, ready to collapse his figure into the thick snow beneath him and mummify. Just as he readied to crash, the God spoke of something that took his breath away.

"Do you want me to punish you?"

What the hell? He had a choice? Perplexed, Qihul perks back up as if he had not been weakened by the thought of death and failure, his lips parted in admiration and awe. Was this a generous God? The longer he stared, the ends of his lips wanting to pull upward into a nervous grin, his suspicion got the best of him. This was for sure some test, Gods always planned their encounters out before coming to the mortal land.
And to think-- Qihul thought he was going to get off easy! Hah!
He chose his words slowly, not wanting to worsen his already doomed fate, but perhaps this suggestion could ease over on the wrath that was to be delivered to him.

"No." He meekly chirped, scarred lip twitching, "Please, let me serve out my punishment by being your servant. I'll never disappoint you again. I'll--"

His voice had cut off with a shake. Qihul was stuck now, how long would this punishment be? And would the God allow such an easy sentence to be made into action? Surely, this stranger must have wanted to tear his pelt off his skin for betraying the forest, or gouge his eyes out. Being a mere servant may not even be remotely enough.

"Does that sound okay?" He asked first, checking the God's expression for any glimpses of anger or disapproval.

--
@Victorian

A servant? Perhaps a mind more malicious than his own would have taken advantage of this instantly. In a time so dire - a man dedicated to you was an advantage many would kill to have. Qihul hunting for him, defending what scraps they could find, keeping watch while he slept - all things a more sensible being would relish in. And, of course, Victorian would be a fool if he did not think of these as well. But it is not what interested him most. Ultimately, he'd share kills. He'd share the duties Qihul was supposed to take on his own - a partnership more than any sort of servitude.

More than this, however, Victorian desired Qihul be there when he called for him. He wanted for Qihul to the shadow to his sunlight - close by. He'd put the boy in no prison, he'd be free to roam as he pleased. But when the days got particularly quiet, and the Architect found himself yearning for noise, he'd summon him.

"A follower," he murmured, staring down the stranger after a long moment of silence. His muzzle cracks into something of a smile. "Why, I think that'll do just fine."

The Nightling turns away, his tails swishing lazily against his hocks as he walks. They'd not leave the forest today, for Victorian would rather weather cold than the sand.

"Are you coming, Acolyte?"

exit Victorian

@Qihul
His breath hitched once more upon hearing the God's ethereal voice begin. He seemed to ponder Qihul's offer, tossing it back in forth in that miraculous shining mind of his, so intelligent that Qihul could not fathom how fast the God may come to his conclusion. Surely, he knew the outcome of having a follower, because Gods could see the future. And then, the decision was made. It seemed as if everything stood still for an eternity as if the ice had frozen over for the millionth time on this forest.

"Why, I think that'll do just fine." Spoke the orange eyed spirit.

Qihul felt the anticipation that welled up in his chest slowly evaporate, and a pleasant guffaw broke the silence of surprise that succumbed the conversation. And then, the boy began to laugh. He was so overwhelmed with joy that his entire behind began to wag like a small pup with his tail. His eyes looked from the left and then to the right of the God's eyes, amazed that an agreement was made between a mere mortal and one that held so much authority and power. And to think-- that agreement was summoned from him!
Just as his God began to turn away, his laughter stopped, a bit confused.

It sounded more like an invitation Qihul would never pass on, "Are you coming, acolyte?"

Acolyte. He ran it over his tongue a few times aloud, getting a taste and feel for the sound of it. The more he spoke it to himself, the more he saw that it fit. He was the Unknown God's Acolyte. Not wasting another second, the jubilant lad followed along the side of the being, his own steps like a frolicking deer. He'd keep a close watch on the God, until he was relieved.

"This is an honor." Qihul informed with a subtle grin itching at his lips.

--Exit Qihul--
END THREAD

--
@Victorian