North of Nowhere
an advanced play-by-post realistic wolf roleplay

[AW] got no courage
The day was nearing its end, soon the sun would fully set and the moon would make its comeback as it did every night. The heat of summer was no longer on her mind as everything was beginning to cool off. Footsteps carried her lithe frame throughout the forest and the home to the Falls - probably the next greatest thing compared to the trees. This was her family's home - where they had grown up and lived for the very first moments of their lives. Family had lived here, some had died here too. It really was a beautiful sight. Nothing else mattered when that sound rung throughout her cream furred ears at a steady drone. It was the sound that lulled her into a deep slumber during the night. There was a light mist in the air from the waterfall crashing down into the river.

Izaral lept to different rocks, knowing which ones were slippery and which held the best grip for her paws - it really was second nature to her. "Ah!" She screamed suddenly, it was short-lived and soon she was just frowning. A fish had frightened her, ears flattening against her head as she let out a low growl. "Stupid thing," She snorted thinking of how often such things happened to her. If it wasn't a fish, it was a bird or a rabbit or any sudden disruption really. It was embarrassing - she hated being so easily spooked, she wanted to have the bravery as Bayani did. Did bravery mean venturing outside of ones comfort zone? She had a feeling it involved such things and Izaral most definitely wasn't prepared for that. It was too.. uncomfortable.

She paused where she was, just far enough way to be simply sprayed by the misting of water. It was nice to unwind after a busy day of 'exploring' the forest she was raised in. Izaral thought she would never understand the desire to leave, it was insane - nowhere in the world was there a place like this. Nowhere.

"Don't leave me all alone."

table by jay & image by Yej

welcome to join me if you'd like!

It hasn't been too long since she arrived to this valley but she was already on the move. Deciding that it was absolutely impossible that this land was only snow and cold mountains, Nereis has took up the task to venture down the river from the lake. In fact, she decided to follow the river only. Surely the water will lead her to an interesting and, hopefully, warmer place. After a while of walking, and at times stopping to rest, the cream girl began to notice a change in the climate. Although darkness was slowly creeping across the land, the air no longer sunk it's frigid claws into her lungs and the heat that danced in beautiful clouds before her nose had long disappeared. Yes! She rejoiced, although only in her mind. So there is hope for this land! She wasn't going to freeze to death!

She walks more. The stars were beginning to make their appearance upon the heavenly stage. She stopped for a while to cast her gaze towards their shimmering light and realized that for the first time she was looking upon the stars from a foreign land. Unfamiliar land but familiar skies. They were, and always will be, the same heavens that she always gazed upon.
Nostalgia began to creep into her mind and thoughts of her mother came along with it. Will she be alright? No, she's a tough woman. She'll be fine. And that woman really was tough! But was she truly going to forgive Nereis for leaving her behind? Something began stinging her eyes, tears were threatening to spill and that's when the yearling decided that she best not dwell on such thoughts.

She walked more, following her only friend and guide - the river - without separating. A faint sound of falling water made her ears perk up and her pace turn more rapid. What was that? Following the sound, she soon emerged from the thick forest to a sight to behold. A waterfall! It was so pretty! Her eyes shined with awe and she was truly struck by the magnificent cascading water so much that she hardly pay any attention to her surroundings. That was until the pitched scream. Ears flattened against the sides of her skull and Nereis jumped, frightened for a second before she laid eyes upon a wolf standing atop the rocks. "Stupid thing!" Brows lift in confusion and the sunny girl realizes that before her, perched on one of the slippery rocks, was standing another yearling. And Nereis was just in her vision. Crap, she thought. There's nowhere to hide. I'm totally open. One would think that with such thoughts creeping into the sunny child's mind she was preparing for a head-on collision. Well, that was far from the truth. Instead she never was a fan of conversation, she just wasn't good with strangers. Never knowing what to say, always assuming she'll mess up in some sort of way and be made fun of as an aftermath were one of the many reasons she usually shied away from conversations. A faint, kind smile curled across her muzzle. Yep, keep it cool. Smile. "You're prettier when you smile," as mother always said. And she didn't want to seem aggressive or sulking now that there was no way to back out of this encounter. "A-Are you okay?" Fuck. Stuttered. Dammit! And what is that stupid question?! Well, what else was there to ask, anyway? The strange girl was spooked by something or maybe she almost slipped? Ah, who knows? I was too busy gawking at falling water!

TABLE BY NESLA/NORI
As stars started making their appearance pale eyes drifted from the falls to the sky above her. She thought of her parents, grandparents that watched down on her from the heavens. The Gods that observed her daily, Izaral wondered what they thought of her - what they didn't like about her. She was self-concious, to her the opinions of others mattered greatly and the opinion she held of herself wasn't all that great. A debate coursed through her head on whether or not she should retire to bed or make a midnight run throughout the forest to see if she could find Vinae and Lyllo. She scouted the woods constantly for those two. However, they weren't the only remaining family she had. Only Bayani had been reliable as of late.

"A-Are you okay?" The stuttering and unrecognizable voice of someone made way into her ears, they twitched before she turned around. It was a wonder she had heard anything so close to the waterfall but she had. Fear struck Izaral's heart as the first thoughts through her head were, where are her brothers and sister? This wolf is an outsider, a cold blooded killer - their bodies may be littered about the forest. Be brave, don't fuck this up. You're nothing, useless if you don't face this woman. Izaral would most likely not be sleeping tonight, but instead hunting down her siblings in order to confirm whether they were alive or dead.

Izaral didn't think if she was jumping to conclusions, but it really was a strength of hers. She rose to her paws and jumped among the visible mist toward the golden furred woman. The intruder, stranger. But the she remembered what the woman had asked, a-are you okay? Izaral was close to the woman now, the falls behind her roaring away. It was weird, a breathing, living individual before her with her own thoughts and dreams. Dangerous. Don't eat me, Bayani where are you? This was her home, she wanted to be brave and admirably defend it but this woman didn't seem to be a threat. "That doesn't matter, who are you?" She dismissed the stranger's original question, not wanting to admit she had been terrified of what could have been a decent - but delicious - snack. The small woman stood tall, with her tail held high in the air. It was a dominant stance and Izaral didn't know how long she could hold it, surely she'd scream in terror if this stranger did anything sketchy. The slight smile even spooked her in a weird way. Don't attack me, don't attack me, and definitely don't touch me! her thoughts ran rampant as she waited for a reponse trying as best as she could to maintain some sort of composure but it was cracking terribly. It didn't help that the female was larger than her - not like Bayani but still she was intimidating enough.

@Nereis
<3 i have a feeling I'm going to like this thread a lot haha

The first thing that followed her question was... silence. Just what Nereis' biggest fear was! Being ignored wasn't as scary as annoying, but being misunderstood or not heard frightened her. She didn't want to have to repeat herself, it made her heart skip even faster at the thought that her speech was not heard due to the falls' booming sound. And yet the girl was approaching one step at a time. Was it so she could hear her clearly? That seemed as a good idea, because Nereis wasn't planning on yelling the whole time during the painful conversation that they shall have. Breathe deeply, now breathe out. You got this. You're sociable, we wolves are sociable creatures. It's in your blood, it- Her inner pep talk halted when the golden yearling noticed that the smaller girl seemed to bear a slightly hostile body language. Wait, wait.. what? Oh lord, she didn't want a goddamn fight! Screw it all, she didn't even want a conversation! It would've been rude to just walk away without saying anything, right?! Now that I think about it, maybe I should've ignored this girl. Well it was too late now and this smaller girl was demanding an answer. Nereis stood with a dumbfounded expression across her face for a minute, the smile fading away as quickly as it had appeared. "U-Umm..." Blue eyes avoided the stranger's gaze on purpose. This was starting to become extreme. Unlike the smaller girl, Nereis kept a somewhat calm pose, only her face giving away that she was nervous. "I'm Nereis." A curt response. Why does that matter anyway? Was this tiny girl living here or something? Oh, wait.. no, don't tell me! Did I trespass on somebody's territory? Shocked at the notion, Nereis' blue eyes pressed onto the stranger's similar counterparts filled with worry. "I'm sorry but did I trespass on your pack's territory? I... I really didn't smell any markers." To assume that the smaller girl managed to intimidate the larger yearling would be wrong. She only responsible for her actions if she had done any wrong. Trespassing was usually considered a crime which fueled her fears even more. But how couldn't she detect any markers? Surely her nose wouldn't lie to her! Or perhaps this strange girl was overstepping her boundaries?

TABLE BY NESLA/NORI

@Izaral
The other woman didn't seem to take a dominant stance, unlike what she had done. This was a good sign right? It possibly meant that she wasn't here to hurt her or those within her family - good luck finding them, I'd like to know your secret if I'm not dead before then. Or maybe this was a plot to lure Izaral into a sense of security only to be taken advantage of. "U-umm...I'm Nereis." Nereis, devourer of families!! An over reactive mind produced wild thoughts in her head, tail dropping as she became more involved in her thoughts and worries than the situation in front of her.

"I'm sorry but did I trespass on your pack's territory? I... I really didn't smell any markers." Maybe she should have been sorry for her rash response, but she really wasn't - she was too stubborn and upset. "Uh, this is where I grew up with my entire family so maybe your nose is broken." Izaral spoke sourly, she was disappointed that her own siblings hadn't been around here enough to leave a scent. She tried to make it sound like her family was huge and that it wasn't really just her and the other three. The others were off exploring more often than not which bothered the young girl to no end and so there were really no clear markers.

Bright blue eyes that once stared at this woman with an intensity broke away to stare at the ground below her. Standing there made her feel awkward and self-conscious of how she appeared to this taller woman - her facade was crumbling quickly. Where's my family when I need them? Oh shit, if she doesn't see anyone else here she's definitely going to know something's up! Izaral scowled in frustration with herself, she felt like she could never do anything right. Why is everything so difficult for me? She let a silence drag on for what felt like forever, only prolonging the weirdness in the air. "I'm Izaral.." The young girl mumbled under her breath. Eyes lifted from the ground to look at the sunchild before her, who knew what was going on inside that brain of hers. "I lied, my dumb family doesn't hang around here much. It's just me and they always want to go out and 'travel the world'." This Nereis was probably one of those wanderers, bumbling around through her life and it irritated her.

@Nereis

Her whole body was aching from the emotions raging within her. Nervousness made her heart beat ten times faster and not to mention that she could feel her heartbeat throbbing in her ears. The smaller girl's response, however, made her emotions take a slight turn for the worse. Nereis frowned slightly, pissed off that the girl wasn't paying attention to the fact that the golden stranger just apologized. Little did she know that apologies were not enough to be forgiven if you intrude on somebody's territory, but Nereis hardly paid any attention to these thoughts even if they were obvious. The wave of irritation that washed over her was something she preferred to focus on rather than the nervousness. She didn't want to be a pushover! She wasn't weak. Well, maybe physically she was, but not mentally and there was no way she was going to allow this silly girl to act like the big thing. "I'm sure it's not." The blonde foreigner replied sharply with a deeper voice. Hell if she cared about her big family! If they want to tear at her, then so be it! Maybe later she'll regret her boldness, but right now Nereis was caught up in her rising anger.

And then suddenly the brownish woman fell silent, as if there was some regret in her gaze which immediately fell to the ground. What? Why is she just standing there after she threw the first line?! The feisty girl dropped her defenses, as if the imaginary wall that she had built around herself crumbled into the silence until her silent introduction. At that view and at the native's words the frown across her auburn forehead disappeared only to be replaced by the usual poker face that she kept when she wasn't pretending to be smiling. Nereis stood, confused and silent. What could she say? How does she react at this sudden change of mood? Not to mention that she was still feeling provoked from just a few seconds ago. Calm down! She tried to tell herself but to no avail - her angry self only argued back. Izaral's reveal that what she was saying was a lie only threw her off far more. The sunny child scowled at her words. "Well, whatever, it's not like I'll do anything to you. I only came to explore." She said with a sigh, softening her facade. It was obvious she was tired of this ordeal. Nereis managed to figure out the intentions behind Izaral's play - she must be scared of strangers or perhaps her family instructed avoid them. Nonetheless what the reason was the native child was over reacting. Anyone with a little brain could see that the tanned yearling was hardly a cold-blooded killer. Her physique was nothing of the muscular sort. She never fought or trained her body, which sometimes made her feel defenseless. I must change myself. "If your family travels the world why don't you go with them?" It was stupid to waste such a great chance. Traveling the world was a fantastic thing to do!

TABLE BY NESLA/NORI

@Izaral